Thursday, October 2, 2008

Update

Well, it's been quite a long time since I've wrote and you've read. Sure, I have plenty to  say and tell you. Rather than waste your whole afternoon, here's a few things I'm doing, learning and thinking about. 

Doing: 
I moved to Chattanooga, TN after I spent the majority of the summer living in a sorority house with 30+ college students. Now, I'm even further below the Mason Dixon line pursuing my field of study, design. I live with my good friend Brandon Brown. We live on top of Lookout Mountain, technically, live in Georgia. A wonderful lady, who lives all by her self in an enormous house, asked Brandon and I to live in the basement apartment. Brandon and I witness some of the most incredible sunsets from our kitchen window. 

The primary reason I found interest in Chattanooga was a small design studio called, Widgets and Stone, who I now intern/apprentice for. The most attractive aspect of Widget's is not their design, which is stunning. Their approach is what gained my attention. Widget's only designs for people who inspire them. They treat their clients like people. I've actually seen them turn down clients because it they would of taken on the job it would of alienated one current client. That's taboo in a field where the dollar sign rules. Behind the mask of widgets and stone lie strong values founded in serving ones neighbor. Find out more... www.widgetsandstone.com

After work, life seems to begin, not stop. Brandon and I are living together with the intention of becoming better people. While living with each other we are learning new ways of serving our neighbor, forgiving one another, encouraging each other in our individual pursuits, establishing open communication, and much more. 

Learning: 
All of the above! 
At work I am learning how to motivate myself and take my own initiative with out being told exactly what to do. Most of the time I am given a task and, usually, I have to figure out how to accomplish it. I like this style of learning/training. For instance, the first day I was given the task or researching, consulting, and marketing Widgets and Stone. Instead of asking how to do it, I just jumped in. For me the project has looked like many one on one meetings with clients, employees, past interns, and citizens of Chattanooga. I encourage anyone who interns to read A Message to Garcia. Questions are great when the the person who is asking is served, a long with the person sharing. 

I'm learning how to eat slower and enjoy the taste.
I'm trying to learn how to become a better listener. 
I would like to learn how to serve others better. Interning, living with an older lady, and living with a room mate have presented serving opportunities. (Could be doing a better job)

Thinking about: 
Joseph (Advisor and co-worker) and I are in the beginning stages of creating a mural outside of our office. I'd love for our mural to help encourage more murals to follow. We've connected with the local Mural Guy in town and he's more than willing to help us. We're also trying help him and his vision of Chattanooga becoming a mural friendly city. (like Pittsburgh). 

Brandon and I are taking photos at Joseph's girlfriend's sister's wedding next weekend. Well, I should say Brandon will be taking the good photos. I'm there strictly for encouragement. This will be fun though to take on a project as a team.

This weekend Brandon and I are traveling to Nashville to visit some friend I made during my nine month internship. 

Well, talk to you soon. 

D.J.
 



No comments: