Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Having fun with work.

I think I've found ways to enjoy my day at work more so that I would if I weren't applying the following disciplines. I learned some of the following thoughts from Tim Ferris and Seth Godin. 

Don't wait for your boss to tell you what to do. Keep a list of all that you're asked to do and a list of stuff you'd like to do. Chances are you boss didn't have the time to come up with your "great" idea and she will enjoy it, as long as she doesn't have to do the work. There have been many occasions, thus far, that I've mentioned ideas and did things that my boss hasn't asked of me, and I felt better afterwards and I think he enjoyed it as well. Do something different for yourself, if anything. 

Take on multiple jobs. I accomplish work much slower if I am only working on one project. I think my brain enjoys the diversity of switching gears. Lately, I've been working on jobs dealing with 401k, Printing, and the Environment. 

Stop checking email. Every time an email comes in, a little red circle flashes on my dock. I'm distracted by the red circle and lose my train of thought or position. All of the time an email can wait. Only once, in the past month have I had to see an email immediately. I turned the red circle off and I only check my gmail account twice a day. This has made my work flow much smoother. 

Stop receiving junk email. How many emails do you receive that you don't need to read? Think about all of the mail from Facebook, MySpace, Local Newsletters, Updates, Amazon Coupons. Their like 10% important compared to a work related note or a message from mom. I set up a separate gmail account for all of my online accounts. I called my account signupDJ@gmail.com. 

Never forget a good thought. Sign up for Jott.com. You can call Jott with your ideas or thoughts and it'll record your voice into a transcript that you can find online. I check Jott every morning to see my thoughts. For the less technically advanced, by a cheap note book. The trick is, though, you have to go back to Jott and to your notebook. Your thoughts are no good if they are just written down and never looked at. 

Share ideas and discuss them openly. I hit the wall all the time. I push an idea and I can't go any further. Recently, I have been working on a major project for my company. I've interviewed clients, employees, competitors, and former interns. I have so much information that I don't know what to do with it. Well, I had some ideas, but I needed input, other ideas. I sent my thoughts to a friend of mine who writes. I was so impressed with the new ideas she had. Ultimately, this helps the company I work for. But, it also helped me enjoy my work even more by sharing it with a friend. I think she's enjoyed the experience as well. 

Eat lunch with someone else. Pretty simple. Talk about whatever you want or maybe just don't talk at all, just eat and get away from work! 

There's so much I am learning which will come in subsequent blogs. However, I must mention one last thought. Know when to stop. For me I must leave at four. (I usually start at 7) I think we've been tricked to think more time means more productivity. I'm not so sure I think that's true. Do you? I've found the less time I spend working, the more natural work happens when I am working. 
 
These disciplines have helped me become even more creative than before, and I love my job. I don't think that all of these are made for you and everyone in between. I would encourage you, though,  to find you own ways to get through the day better. If you're having more fun, that will effect You, Me and Everyone In Between.  



No comments: