Friday, October 24, 2008

Everyone can do it!

Everyone can do "it".
Even your grandfather, with some help of course.
Don't be embarrassed or afraid to discuss "it".
In fact, talk to your grandparents about it, openly.
Ask that your college make it a required part of the curriculum. (Then again, to do this, would require "it")
Once educated you'll learn how to appreciate "it" and do "it" the right way.
"It's" actually a simple concept.

Let's talk about "it", the "L" word.
What do I mean? Leadership.

I think most of you are afraid, (myself included), to take leadership.
I think leadership has replaced public speaking as a Human being's number one fear, even over death.

Proof:
Why do so many Facebook groups come into existence only sit idle? "Most" people are afraid to take leadership and write on the wall or forum. We're afraid of what people will think. I know that many people after a forum or conference are loaded with thoughts. How come all of these forum and conference pages are empty? I wonder what would happen if each of us picked a group we are passionate about on Facebook and gave some leadership? Ask the group a question each day, add personal thoughts (especially ones that we're insecure about, those attract the group), meet up with the people in the group, or create a group chat or party somewhere?

Why do so many individuals come home from work unfulfilled? "Most" people are managed. We do what we are told and then we go home exhausted. We're afraid to do something without being asked. Too often we compromise.

Why do so many people have better ideas, yet let them linger in the darkness of our head, never to see the light of day. We love to vent. We love to talk about how our ideas are better than our bosses. Ok, do something then. (Again, myself included) I'm lucky, my boss is very humble. He knows that everyone has their own individual gifts and talents. He knows that he doesn't know everything. (He tells me all the time. Though, sometimes I think he does know everything.) I can propose new ideas to him very easily. I don't know if that will be so at my next job. This doesn't only go for work. How many times do we have great ideas for our neighborhood? Like a block party, flea market, gardens, and we don't do anything.

Lastly, why do we make propaganda uplifting one individual into leadership? (I admit the person I voted for has the most propaganda) It's because we depend on that one person to be our voice. Think about it though. How many people live in our country? Do you actually think one person can do it alone? NO! We need the little people, the medium people, and the big people all stepping up as leaders. Let's spread the leadership before we do anything. And no, you don't need propaganda. (A blog helps though)

What do I think leadership is?
I think it's when you do what you think and feel is right (and your passionate) to serve your family, home, fitness center, work, church, daycare, the list goes on. I'm passionate about connecting others and uplifting and inspiring people. That's why I right stuff like this. I risk putting my thoughts out here with the hope that you will challenge them and teach me (or hurt my feelings in the process).

Culprit = Failure
Erase Failure. When you're doing what's right you can never fail, especially if you're doing what you're doing to serve someone else. If you're afraid you'll lose your job, maybe you actually don't have much respect for your boss? Meaning, you think he or she would actually fire you for doing something good for the company.

Culprit = To Much Work not enough Energy
Wrong, you will gain energy from the fellowship you will receive and the feeling of achievement.

Culprit = What will others think?
Show others your vision. Help them understand it. Draw a picture. Make them excited to be apart of something.

Culprit = I'm Not a Leader.
Maybe so, but the greatest of leaders are servants. Find someone who does have a cause you are passionate about and serve them. Let me know where this takes you?

Culprit = Independence
Never do anything by yourself or without the support of some friends. Have someone spotting you in case you fall. It's okay to depend on others. The greatest leader of all time had 12.

Challenge to You, Me & Everyone In Between.
Let's say you put yourself out there, what's the worse that could happen? Imagine if you found others who share the same passion as you... What you could accomplish? I imagine lots of people would love to hear what you're thinking and they don't even know it yet.

Ideas from Seth Godin's book tribes, and Tim Ferris's book the Four Hour Work Week inspired my thoughts.
I apologize for grammatical errors. Feel free to take leadership and offer to edit my blog.

dj.trischler@gmail.com

No comments: