Monday, October 27, 2008

Learning how to share.

I wish I wasn't trained to be so competitive. I wish I wasn't so independent. I wish I could share.

Does it have to do with my name? Think about it. When I design a mark, every time afterward I will think, "I did this". Or I will hope people will say, "wow, look what D.J. did". The reality is, if I am to truly serve the partner, the last thought on spectators minds should be who designed the mark.

Does it have anything to do with efficiency? I think it's faster to work independently. I don't need to make any changes because I'm not listening to anyone or working with anyone else. Less minds equal quicker work. I think I've been trained and I've accepted working independently. Throughout school we're compared individually by our grades. Group projects don't happen enough and when they do, are they truly an authentic collaboration? What if we weren't made to be so independent? What if it wasn't about being faster?

I think about me and only me. How is this design going to enhance my portfolio? How are my ideas going to get me somewhere? I want my idea picked, not his or hers.

What if I shared all of my ideas with you freely and openly? You then could criticize me, constructively of course. Perhaps you could take my ideas to a level I could never reach on my own? Perhaps, I stumbled off of the correct path and you could lead me otherwise. Perhaps, you're better at illustration, or writing, or business plans, or selling an idea, or articulation, communication, architecture, interior design, etc... What if you took my idea and made it into something I could never achieve in my wildest dreams?

Case Study:
I was asked to research, consult, and re-market the company I currently work for.
I interviewed fellow employees, current and past partners, past interns, and competitors.
What was I to do with all of the information I received?
I tried to articulate my findings. I'm not a writer.
I called my friend in Indiana and asked if she could help me. She said yes.
From all of the research I found and ideas I came up with she articulated, for me, a beautiful script for my presentation.
I presented a presentation that even in my wildest dreams I could never accomplish or dream of.
Why?
I collaborated authentically with someone with amazing skills that I don't have.
Previous Feelings: At first I thought, "I want to do this on my own." Or, "What if I don't like the new ideas." Or, "This could take longer."
Current Feelings: Although it took a bit longer, the quality outweighed reaching my personal timelines, & together we served the partner better than I could have ever imagined doing by myself.

Dream: To continue collaborating with different people with diverse skill sets to serve the partner in new and remarkable ways. I want to connect designers, writers, illustrators, lay-people, business folk, storytellers, architects, interior designers, visionaries, etc... with amazing partners with incredible visions to create remarkable activity.

That's a long way down the road, I hope in Pittsburgh. For now I'd like to learn how to share better, in Chattanooga.

By sharing, we serve each other by gifting each other with our thoughts, vulnerability, and ideas. We can help each other handle the weight. Ultimately this serves the client or partner or friend better and I feel it this all effects you, me and everyone in between.

1 comment:

Mike Pope said...

DJ,

Forget graphic design... go write a book now. You write some pretty deep stuff, deep enough to make people want to read it.

Hope your doing well...

Pope