Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Welcome to Polyface Farm


I've wanted to visit Polyface Farm ever since I read about it in The Omnivores Dilemma. This past weekend I had the opportunity to, while on a pilgrimage up to New Jersey for my friend Anthony's wedding. Charlottesville, VA was the halfway between Jersey and Chattanooga, so I stopped there to visit my great friends, Noel & Nafret. I knew that Polyface was close to Charlottesville, so I said to my self, why not? On my way back from Jersey, I met Noel in Swoope, VA, the home of Polyface Farm. (I should mention that I somehow got lost in the small town of Staunton, VA - it's the closest town to Swoop - I couldn't find my way out, that caused a slight delay)

In today's entry I'd like to walk you through my experience at Polyface, including the delicious meal provided by Polyface. I'll try not to be too wordy and let the pictures do the talking.

Above: Polyface sign greeting visitors. The farm is situated in the Shenandoah Valley, pretty much dislocated from everything. I don't know that I've ever been so far removed from life as I know it, in this country, like I felt driving into the far reaches of the Shenandoah out to Polyface.

Bill Keener of SCF here in Chattanooga knows Joel Salatin (the celebrity farmer/owner of Polyface). He told me that if Joel was in, which it wasn't likely, I should say hey. Turns out he was there! Joel was selling food from a small building next to the slaughter house. He wore a contagious smile along with a few dabs of blood, from killing turkey, on his cheeks. Noel, Joel and I shared brief small talk including why everything he does illegal and why twenty-somethings (my generation) have a perception that buying from a farmer is too expensive, or cooking the food is too hard.



Above: Joel sent Noel and I out to the pastures. We encountered the turkey first. They roamed a large plot of grass freely, and seemed pretty happy about that.



Above: Take note of these chickens, you'll see a cooked version later. The chickens are in these coupe like contraptions that move in rotation over the pastures. Basically, from what I understand, the chickens eat up the grass, peck through cow poop, and leave a bit of their own poop. It's all apart of the rotational farming happening at Polyface.



Above: You can see the poop left by the chickens. Fertilization!



Above: Some more birds, free roaming, along with an invention that Joel created as their coupe.


Above: Noel and I eventually came to a wooded area near the end of the farm. We stood for a few moments, then heard strange noises coming from within the wooded area. All of a sudden a pack of pigs galloped towards us, snorting. It was hilarious. I couldn't help but laugh. When I was a kid I was introduced to a pot belly pig at the local church festival. Ever since, I've wanted one. This is just one of the many pigs that greeted Noel and I.


Above: The slaughter "house"... It has no walls. Any visitor to Polyface can see the killing in progress, if they show up at the "right time". Noel and I just missed the crew killing turkeys. I'm not going to lie, I was sad that we missed the slaughter process. This, to my knowledge, is the only stage of the food preparation process that I've not experienced. I'll understand and appreciate what I eat, even more, if I witness the killing of an animal. I want to visit a local butcher shop in South Pittsburgh, TN. I'll write about my experience.



Above: Amazing country! I took this picture from my car, driving away from the farm, on my way to Charrlottesville, VA.


Above: Polyface chicken! mmmm! So good! I can still taste it! I stuffed the chicken with olive oil, rosemary, thyme, and lemon - cooked at 375 for about an hour. I'll be honest, I'm much more comfortable cooking veggies. I was a bit intimidated to cook a full chicken for five other people. Luckily, my roommate, Joseph, hooked me up with solid advice. And, one of the guest is a "food architect", and coached me along the way. (I forgot about thawing the chicken. Therefore, dinner was about two hours late.) Along with the chicken, we enjoyed steamed beats, sauteed beat leaves and stems, and sauteed squash with onions and red pepper flakes. Though the meal was delayed, it still tasted incredible! (it was accompanied by great conversation) A few months ago I couldn't cook!

May You, Me and Everyone in Between enjoy good food, together with good people, from good places, like Polyface Farm!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

You say you're sad you missed the slaughter process...that's something you really gotta get in on. When I was 9 or 10 we got together with a few other families to butcher 6 hogs...learned the whole process from removing the hair with resin to splitting the spine with a chainsaw to blowing up the intestines to check for holes before using them as sausage casings. Definitely makes you appreciate what you're eating. You could butcher your own chicken for starters, its not too tough.

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can say that I agree with you, but you may be inasmuch as other options.
to the article there is still a without question as you did in the decrease efflux of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=ashampoo music studio ?
I noticed the utter you suffer with not used. Or you use the pitch-dark methods of helping of the resource. I have a week and do necheg