Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Happiest Place in Town...



That's right! I declare the Hofbrauhaus Pittsburgh, the happiest place in Pittsburgh. Why?

1. Libations and cheers.
Alcoholic beverages (in moderation) can make people happy. If you're not talkative, you may become talkative. You start laughing, and your worries disappear for a few moments. On top of that, every 30 - 45 minutes there's a drinking chant/cheer. The bond you form with your fellow drinkers is sure to give you a warm feeling inside. I should also mention that the sweet aroma of beer being made directly next to you is also enough to make you smile.

2. Eating together.
Though you're not eating the same dish, it feels like you're extra closer to fellow patrons. Since your closer, you may want to sneak and try your neighbors Schnitzel. I found myself eating off of my moms, dads, grandmothers, and sisters plates. We all have to eat and, inherently, I think we all have a desire to relate. The Hofbrauhous brings people around a common table to relate, give thanks, laugh, and enjoy life with good food.

3. Culture.
Though German culture is not frightening, (like going to a cafe themed on Djibouti food), it's still different enough to give you a new and unique experience. I think it helps that it is actually an authentic German chain. There are only two or three in the USA! I asked the Beer Master what he was doing and he simply stated, "I making ze beer". The Hhaus actually has authentic Deutchlanders making beer and creating a vibe! And I should also mention that there is a large amount of German descendants in the Burgh. I think that once we enter the HHaus space we inherently become more like Germans, celebrating life, people, beer, and good food.

The HHaus is enough of a reason for me to go back to Pittsburgh (on top of my family n'at). It's interesting that (in my mind) the HHaus is the happiest place in Pittsburgh. It's also ironic that it's happier than Kennywood (PGH's amusement park, which I went to the day before). I resolve and conclude that good traditional food and beer has a major part of my proclamation of Happiest Place in Pittsburgh. And.... (Drum roll please).... I think that a farmers market can also be one of the happiest places in your town for many of the same reasons as the HHaus. It's a place to relate, tell stories, laugh, eat traditional food to your region, connect, etc... Your house can be one of the happiest places on the planet if you share the joy and creation of a meal provided by your local farmer with close friends. (Don't forget local libations)

So, as I break my own tradition of writing on Wednesday (and for that matter skipping the Market, as I was en route from PGH to Chatt), I sign off with a chugging countdown in German. 

eins - zwei - drei !Zopa!


Schnitzel Cordon Blue


My sis. and me. After two hefe weizen.

No comments: