Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Withdrawal Syndrome


Weddings have forced me to drive all over the south and north east coast this summer. Don't get me wrong, I love weddings, especially the three so far this summer. Though, I will say that after missing the Main Street Market last week, I was feeling withdrawal. Of course, I was missing out on the good food during the last week. But I also missed out of the cool fellowship that occurs at the market.

Today I set out to overcome my withdrawal. Somehow I managed to get by without buying groceries this week (lots of granola, good friends who cook, and peanut butter). I had a whooping sixty dollars to spend at the market! Technically, since my budget ends on Friday, I have sixty bucks for food for the next three days! Anyways, I was ready to spend some money on some amazing food.

I did my usual, I bought some eggs and went on my rounds. I usually end up walking two rounds and shopping at each tent at least once. As usual, conversation was struck up by either the farmer or myself. Along with the conversation, I tasted an amazing yellow watermelon, cold figs, and a new taste, tomatilla. All told, by the end of my time my bags were full and I'd caught up with my good friends. I eliminated my withdrawal syndrome and spent almost fifty bucks on this market excursion!

At the market today I realized one reason why the farmers market is such a happy place. Think about an artist. An artist works hard through each aspect of the creation process. Blood, sweat, and sometime tears go into a project. An artist feels great about his or her creation when complete. But the real joy comes from sharing. Ain't that true with all aspects of life? I believe this to be true with farmers. They work with whatever nature throws at them, rain or shine. They do all that they can possibly do to reap a harvest. To some extent they only have so much control. They can do everything "right", but there's no guarantee. Each growing plant is a miracle. Sure, the farmers could keep their crops to themselves. But I think the act of sharing brings them joy. I know it certainly brings joy to me and as you walk through your market I'm sure you'll witness the joy I'm speaking of.

I encourage you to partake in the goodness of the Main Street Farmers Market! Next week I'll write about what I've done with the food found in the picture above. Until then, I hope that You, Me and Everyone In Between enjoys good food and fellowship.

No comments: