Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Why do I do this?










Recently, my neighbor in Pittsburgh told me of a development firm in Pittsburgh, PA with brilliant mission statement, "we make money slow". At widgets & stone, where I work, our mission begins with "design the right things, design the things right". These two vision statements resonate with me, especially as I wonder what the vision or purpose of You Me and Everyone in Between is? I can't help but want to steal both of those statements and make them mine! Yet, they're completely different fields than I am in. I don't plan on using the blog for my design career or to make any money.

There's something to be said about discipline, depending on the habits that it forms. I believe that you must form the right discipline for yourself. (I tend to be too far fetched) Elite marathon runners have a much different discipline than someone like me training for a half marathon. If I started where they are, I'd never get anywhere. Eventually, I'd burn out and end up upset at myself for not reaching my outlandish goals. Seth Godin writes one blog a day every day. I wish I could do that, but to tell the truth, that would not be fair to you. You'd end up reading mostly sub-par entries the would fall short of serving you. Seth can do it, I can't, right now.

I would be lying if I told you I didn't want to achieve some fame from this blog. If I'm honest, I'd tell you that I think this blog actually has some potential. But, if my blog doesn't "make it" amongst the billions of blogs out there, at least I can rest in the fact that I know that I enjoy what I am doing. I take great pleasure in the process of writing an entry every week or so. In fact, for me, it's much more than writing, it's about sharing experiences in life. I especially enjoy sharing what I glean from the incredible people I cross paths with.

My Uncle from Kansas once said, "plant seeds and pray, that's all you can do". When he first shared these words I hesitated to accept them. I was younger and thought that I had even more control over life than I do now. As I grow I begin to recognize the wisdom within his words.

If I had a mission statement or discipline for You Me and Everyone it would go like this, "To plant ideas when I have ideas".

I'll continue to write as long as I'm having fun*. You're welcome to participate. I hope you do.

*I met with a man at The Manchester Bidwell Training Center who said, "D.J., let me tell you something, never do something unless it's fun".

No comments: