Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Handcrafted

Today I write to share with you the accomplishment of one of my long time goals. Since graduating college in 2007 I've wanted to create my own thank you cards. Over the years I've created simple stationary printed from an ink jet. Usually, I run out pretty quickly. If I don't have stationary on hand, letters won't be sent. I probably owe at least thirty people thank you cards from the last three years. Sorry, if you're one of those people.

Two important events occurred in the completion process of my very own stationary.

1. Hearing Denver Moore, co-author of Same Kind of Different as Me , speak in Atlanta. Rather than describing his story, you should just buy and read the book. Anyways, humble as he is, all he said when he spoke, in front of the largest crowd to support the homeless in Atlanta's history, was "In this life we only keep what we give". I immediately knew that that quote must appear on my stationary.

2. Accomplishing a completely separate goal, learning how to letterpress. The letterpress is an amazing machine that creates a handcrafted design. I actually did not use a computer for any part of the process of completing my stationary! Hard to believe in 2009, right? I set all of the lead type (Stymie) by hand. I wanted to use Archer, but Stymie was the only organized and complete alphabet that we have at the studio. I used some French paper left over from old projects at the widgets & stone studio. All told, my stationary cost me zero dollars. I spent under seven hours setting the type and printing the cards and envelopes. Hopefully, when received, my stationary will make someone smile.






Another goal of mine is to hand write letters more often. Hopefully having 100 cards on hand will encourage letter writing. It's important to note that most of history is taken from letters. I started reading Team of Rivals about Abraham Lincoln's unique/diverse cabinet by Doris Kearns Goodwin. She found most of her information from reading letters that the men sent home to their wives.

I'm not writing for a historian 100 years from now to read. But history has inspired me to handcraft personal letters of gratitude to those who have given to me in some way. When I receive a letter amongst all my junk mail, I smile. It's a letter not asking anything of me, like the rest. In so many ways it's a celebration of a memory had. In this world of constant fear of the future, never recognizing the present, and forgetting the past, I believe it to be good practice to reflect and share what we are thankful for.

I'll be in Pittsburgh for the next week to run a half marathon with my sis and to spend time with the family. Talk to you next week!

D.J.

2 comments:

Ryan R. said...

The quote couldn't be more true. Especially when imprinted on stationary for Thank You cards. Great post.

Anne said...

These look great, DJ. Good for you.