Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mile 1


My great friend Christopher Taylor recently inspired me to join him in a marathon of blog posts. That's right, 26 + blog posts in a row. Joining us in the marathon is Joseph Shipp. Over the next 26 days check out our blogs: Joseph's - Topher's - D.J.'s

Topher hasn't been the only person in my life to encourage me to tackle a marathon. My sister, Sarah, inspired me to run the Pittsburgh Half Marathon in May. I'll start my blogathon with some marathon metaphors I'm finding in my life.

I started my training determined to finish 13.1 miles on May 3rd of 2009. That was and is still my destination. I'm training all of this time for the moment of glory when I pass through the finish line.

Pause - Let's think about thoughts from two friends of separate experiences in the wilderness hiking.

Thought 1
. "Why is it that Americans hike as if they're trying to reach the top of the mountain? They never pause and enjoy their surroundings along the way. I was on a hike today for six hours that should of taken me two hours. I paused frequently to bask in the beauty that lay under the canopy of forest"
Thought 2. "Every time I hike I press forward fast with my head looking at the ground to be sure I don't trip. I always end up the first one finished and never seem to enjoy the hike as much as everyone else."
Thought 3. (me) I was on a hike last weekend. I went to Lookout Mountain to get away for a few hours. I found myself fast walking to my destination. I paused and it dawned on me, "the journey is full of many destinations that often times don't lie at the end".

Back to the Marathon Training - Yes, I am training for that day in May when I will put my body through 13.1 miles of pain. However, I've reach many destinations along the journey that I have enjoyed.

Here are a few:
•Spending time on the phone with my sister every Monday night to encourage each other.
•Joining a group of guys in my neighborhood in forming a running club.
•Eating much more healthier than ever and feeling great because of it.
•Finishing my first 5K.
•Early morning run with my friend from Birmingham while he was in town for business.
•Seeing Chattanooga from new perspectives.
•Purchasing neon green Nikes. (above)

I think my life is like training for a marathon. Often times I'm focused on the end game, when there's so much to enjoy in the moment.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Good luck with the half marathon! I ran the Shamrock half for St. Paddy's day...its going to be the best and worst thing you've ever done all at the same time.

One tip...if the race is early in the morning, do your long runs early in the morning so you get used to what to eat to fuel your body that early in the morning.