Wednesday, September 16, 2009

How to use the Market

I've realized that both you and me can over complicate stuff. The market's actually a very simple concept. People have been growing and exchanging food for thousands of years. Today, I feel that it's necessary that I write about how to use your local farmers market.

Go in with this mindset...

I'm not replacing a grocery store with a farmers market.
I don't have to spend a lot of money.
This is much more of a relational experience, than a shopping experience.

Simple Steps...
1. Visit your favorite ATM and take out the minimum withdrawal amount.
1.a If you don't want to visit your favorite ATM, grab whatever change you can find. (in pants pockets, between sofa cushions, under the car seat)
2. Drive, walk, bike, scooter to your local market.
3. Make one lap around the market before you spend a dime.
4. Pick one booth and strike up conversation with the farmer. Tell them, "This is my first time to the market, what do you suggest I buy with $x.xx and how do you suggest I cook it"? Chances are, this will lead to further conversation. I guarantee the farmer will exchange conversation with you.
5. Don't leave until you've spent all of your change or minimal withdrawal.

Today, I forgot my wallet and all I have is six bucks. I'll buy my standard dozen eggs from SCF. With the extra two bucks perhaps I'll buy okra or a pepper, maybe a squash.

Just go to the market and spend some money! Enjoy good food. Don't buy too much, you'll overwhelm yourself. Don't be afraid to talk to the farmers, they're actually some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

See you there!


No comments: