Friday, July 17, 2009

Never cooked beets before


















Baked Eggplant Sandwich
egg plant - signal mountain farm
four seed bread - niedlov's
onion - river ridge farm
tomato - crabtree

Sides
beets - river ridge farm (the greens and stem of a beet are amazing sauteed)
kale - williams Island
zucchini - river ridge
garlic: river ridge
shiitake mushrooms: sequatchie cove farm (so easy! saute with butter)


















Omelet:
eggs - sequatchie cove farm (pasture raised, free roaming chickens)
kale - williams island farm
tomato - crabtree farms
shiitake - sequatchie cove farm
onion - river ridge
zucchini - river ridge
egg plant - signal mountain farm
garlic - river ridge

If I can create these two meals, (which were amazingly tasty!) then you certainly can! I used to be intimidated by the market. I thought the food required "mysterious" recipes. I mean, I'm only learning how to cook, I had no clue what to do with the stuff I was buying. I remember being very anxious as I walked the market for the first time. Eventually, I started asking the farmers for their advice. I was shocked by the simplicity. Saute, Steam, or Boil. How could it be so easy? I thought I had to follow some strange recipe on epicurious?

Once you manage to saute, steam or boil your food, you can try to make other easy recipes like omelets and baked egg plant sandwiches. For my omelet I pulled whatever I could find from the fridge. First I sauteed it all, then I put it into the omelet. A friend of mine always says, "good ingredients make for good food". I'm definitely a believer in that statement, after these two meals. You'll also come to the light, once you try out the Main St. Market (or any market around the country).

You, Me & Everyone In Between has to eat. Why not eat good?!

Main Street Farmers Market
In between Market and Broad St.
Wednesdays, 4:30 - 6:00 pm. (Get there early)
See you there!

No comments: