Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It's actually not that painful

I've been to the poorest country in the world and I live in the richest. In each place the people eat. Let's face it, we all have to eat. Even if we weren't required to, I think we'd still eat. I mean, who doesn't enjoy eating?

That is why I have selected food as the theme of You, Me & Everyone in between. (If you haven't noticed)

Each Wednesday I'll post a little note related to food.

Why Wednesday? The farmers market is on Wednesday. My goal is to encourage readers/eaters to taste something local. Again, if I can, you can.

Today, I'll write briefly about my first experiences with farmers markets.

If I were to think way back to my first experience at a farmers market, it would definitely be on the North Side of Pittsburgh, PA. (There are actually farms in and near the steel town) I remember walking with my sister and mother through a parking lot full of farmers selling their food. I don't remember what we bought, or if we even bought anything. Later in life, my dad and I would park near the market's space before Pirate or Steeler games. For some reason, each time I'd pass the spot, I'd remember the first experience with my mom and sister. Oddly enough, an image of husks of corn and tents with farmers sporting beards wearing overalls vividly pops into my mind. I also remember looking up to everyone, I was quite young.

As far as I know, my second experience was at a farmers market last year in Falls Church, VA. I experimented with vegetarianism for a few months. The market seemed like a logical place to go. I remember thinking the food was priced higher than a grocery store. At the time I was living in community with some friends and I wasn't sure I could convince them that we needed to buy food from the market. (I mean, Sam's was way cheaper) Another set back was my lack of comfort in the kitchen. I had no clue how to cook what the farmers we're selling. End of story, I never bought anything and I never went back.

Fast forward to a month or two ago. Inspired by foodies in Chattanooga and reading The Omnivores Dilemma, I went back to a farmers market, the Main Street Market in Chattanooga, TN. As I entered the market I felt a rising anxiety. What was I going to buy? More importantly, how was I going to cook it? I was either too embarrassed or too proud to ask one of the farmers. (especially in front of other people) Eventually, in my anxiety I ended up picking out $20+ dollars worth of produce. I couldn't pronounce most of it, let alone cook it. I was facing buyers remorse! How do I cook Kohl Rabi!?

Luckily, Bill Keener of SCF stopped by the design studio the next day. In private, I asked, "How do I cook this stuff"? His reply was simple, almost too simple for me. He said, "just saute or steam them"! In my mind I imagined some complicated recipe, which was scary with my limited cooking experience. It took me a few cooking experiences to stop over thinking the process and just saute or steam (or bake). I wrote about and photographed my first experience cooking food from the farmers market. Here's a link...

I just returned from the Main Street Market and here's what I have to show. Now I just buys what's different or new and figure out what to do with it later, of just ask a farmer.



Two tomatos that I've never tried before... Green Zebra and the big ole' yellow one thanks to Signal Mountain Farm.
Eggs from SCF. Produced by chickens that spend their days roaming pastures near the cattle. (A morning necessity).
Zuchini compliments of River Ridge Farm.
Celeriac (which I'm told is great roasted with beets) from Crab Tree
Garlic from Crabtree
Pork Chops from SCF
Beets (which were a first last week) from River Ridge Farm
Onions from SCF

Quick note: For each purchase I engaged the farmer/seller in a discussion about the food I was buying and how to cook it. They had no trouble answering my questions. Not once did I feel as if I was annoying them. I didn't lose my pride either. In fact, I left the market quite rejuvenated from my conversations with the high spirited folks at the market selling food. Now it's time to nourish my body with great local food from Chattanooga!

It's also time that You, Me & Everyone In Between try a local farmers market.

May you eat extremely well this week!

No comments: