Monday, November 5, 2007

Something to read while you should be working

The past few weeks have been quite a treat! I spent a weekend in my hometown, a few days in DC, and a week in Chattanooga. First off I would like to thank my rents for accommodating Tyler and I during our Burgh visit. I really enjoyed being back home. I especially enjoyed schooling my Dad at Tiger Woods golf on the Wi. I’d like to challenge you to a rematch over Thanksgiving break.

Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh will always be my home. As we approached the city via 376 I felt as if I never left. It was as if I was coming home from a long day at Kennywood or a snowboard trip at 7Springs. Emotions swept through me as I stood on top of Mount Washington. Fog embraced the city. Never have I felt as proud. Truth speaks in the quote, “You don’t know what have until you leave.” My only reminder did not consist of only the City Skyline. My family and family of friends are my foundation. Constantly I was reminded of that during the weekend.

I came to Pittsburgh to see Issouf ag Maha. Issouf is a friend from Niger. I met him during my travels there in January. If you read the BBC, you will know that a major Taureg rebellion is happening in Niger. Issouf is a Taureg and Mayor of the area of attention. The environment is also a concern of Issouf and his people. The desert is constantly encroaching on his land. As the desert spreads, agriculture depletes. This phenomenon of nature causes Niger to be one of the poorest countries in the world. The group of Taureg I immersed with were the most incredible people I have met. I will never forget the week I spent in the bush with them. During my lifetime I will go back to Niger. Because of this, it was very important to me to meet Issouf during his stay at La Roche. I expressed to him my desire to be his friend. To help Niger would require much sacrifice. I can’t do that right now. However, I can return to him what was done for me during my trip. The taureg showed me how to treat others with love. Although totally different in culture, religion, and lifestyles, the taureg accepted and embraced me. I can at least do that in return. My hope is to host Issouf in DC at my home. He did this for me in Niger.

My other objective in visiting Pittsburgh was to be with my family. You already know that my dad and I faced off in a Tiger Woods Golf battle on Wi. We are tied. (However, I almost beat him as tiger woods with a girl, Paula Creamer) Playing Wi with my dad was possibly the best part of being home. My mom took Tyler and I to a Chinese place for lunch. It was great to be with my mom. I know that she and my dad care for me so much. If it were not for them I would not be here in DC. On Sunday the whole family got together for church and breakfast. I’ve been away from family for two months. The limited time I got to spend with my family was great.

When I wasn't with Issouf or my Family I was at the Global Problem, Global Solutions conference. I must say they have outdone themselves again. The students did a superior job of helping their fearless leader Dr. LeBlanc make it happen. I was very impressed with the speakers, the panels, and the after party. Being at La Roche was a great escape. I enjoyed catching up with my friends.

Tyler and I also had some intern business to tend to. On our way we had lunch with a student from the Forum. We had a great time catching up with the student. It just so happened we had relations with a Pittsburgh resident. We had dinner with him on our way into the city on Friday night. That was the best steak I’ve ever had. Later, on Friday night, we visited another student from the Forum. He attends the University of Pittsburgh in Oakland. This guy is amazing. He started a teahouse on Friday nights. The objective was to give students an alternative to getting trashed. Our time was filled with awesome conversation. We went from discussing Global Warming in India to observing a discussion between an atheist and a very devout Christian. If I were in Pittsburgh I would spend my Fridays at the Tea House. I couldn’t believe this was happening in my own city.

What did I learn from my trip to Pittsburgh?

I learned that in college I exhausted myself trying to do everything. I tried to be everything for everyone. I get excited fast about ideas and proposals. Often I answer in my excitement before logically thinking about my decision. I don’t always do things for the right reasons. I apologize to everyone for this. Thankfully I am learning who I am. Regret is not an option.

I learned that family is much more important than I have made it. I value my family. Sometimes I forget this. I get caught up in saving the world (metaphorically speaking), and forget whom really matter. I may not be in Pittsburgh for a long time, but I would like to foster an on going relationship with the people who matter the most to me.

I’ve also begun to realize that I don’t speak in a language others can understand. I want people to think like I do. I want people to be like me. I want them to act like me. I know this is a bit exaggerated. However I get frustrated when I try to teach or (preach) and no one understands. I am beginning to learn that it’s not them to fault, but me. We are all individuals with our own beliefs and thoughts. I am learning to value that.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

You are reaching out all over the country but also keeping your roots strong at home... this is very noble.

Can't wait to see you over Thanksgiving!

Al Kaib said...

We are with you on your journey…good luck, God Bless!